Datbury's blog

Google

Thursday, April 13, 2006

Update on my oldest son

He told his teacher why he didn't like his skin, which for me, is an issue in and of itself. I thought our relationship was better than that, or maybe he didn't know how to verbalize it at that time.

What happened was that another black kid told him that his skin color was ugly. The black kid is darker than my son.

WTH!!!!!!

Self hatred is something else, and yet my first reaction was to believe that it was somebody other than another black person.

That response alone can fill up a blog page.

But he is feeling better about himself with the daily bombardment of love and information that my wife and I give to him.

Friggin' self hatred.

3 Comments:

  • Man I never remember kids picking on each other about skin clor like that, and I was in Houston schools at that age.

    Oh sure, there was racial teasing, but none of this yo momma so black...

    By Blogger Barthi, at 6:03 PM  

  • Generally I do not post on blogs, but I would like to say that this post really forced me to do so! really nice post.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:53 AM  


  • Way cool! Some extremely valid points! I appreciate you writing this article and the rest of the website is very good.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home