Datbury's blog

Google

Thursday, May 04, 2006

When inspiration IS found. . . . .

Subject: FW: >Being a Friend.
>
>
>
>
>
> One day, when I was a freshman in high school,
>
>
>I saw a kid from my class was walking home from school.
>
>
>His name was Kyle.
>
>
>It looked like he was carrying all of his books.
>
>
>I thought to myself, "Why would anyone bring home all his books on a
>Friday?
>
>
>He must really be a nerd."
>
>
>I had quite a weekend planned (parties and a football game with my friends
>tomorrow afternoon), so I shrugged my shoulders and went on.
>
>
>As I was walking, I saw a bunch of kids running toward him.
>
>
>They ran at him, knocking all his books out of his arms and tripping him so
>he landed in the dirt.
>
>
>His glasses went flying, and I saw them land in the grass about ten feet
>from him.
>
>
>He looked up and I saw this terrible sadness in his eyes
>
>
>My heart went out to him. So, I jogged over to him and as he crawled around
>looking for his glasses, and I saw a tear in his eye.
>
>
>As I handed him his glasses, I said, "Those guys are jerks. "
>
>
>They really should get lives.
>
>
>" He looked at me and said, "Hey thanks!"
>
>
>There was a big smile on his face.
>
>
>It was one of those smiles that showed real gratitude.
>
>
>I helped him pick up his books, and asked him where he lived.
>
>
>As it turned out, he lived near me, so I asked him why I had never seen him
>before.
>
>
>He said he had gone to private school before now.
>
>
>I would have never hung out with a private school kid before.
>
>
>We talked all the way home, and I carried some of his books.
>
>
>He turned out to be a pretty cool kid.
>
>
>I asked him if he wanted to play a little football with my friends
>
>
>He said yes.
>
>
>We hung out all weekend and the more I got to know Kyle, the more I liked
>him, and my friends thought the same of him.
>
>
>Monday morning came, and there was Kyle with the huge stack of books again.
>
>
>I stopped him and said, "Boy, you are gonna really build some serious
>muscles with this pile of books everyday!
>
>
>"He just laughed and handed me half the books.
>
>
>Over the next four years, Kyle and I became best friends.
>
>
>When we were seniors, we began to think
>about college.
>
>
>Kyle decided on Georgetown, and I
>was going to Duke.
>
>
>I knew that we would always be friends, that the miles would never be a
>problem.
>
>
>He was going to be a doctor, and I was going for business on a football
>scholarship.
>
>
>Kyle was valedictorian of our class.
>
>
>I teased him all the time about being a nerd.
>
>
>He had to prepare a speech for graduation.
>
>
>I was so glad it wasn't me having to get up there and speak
>
>
>Graduation day, I saw Kyle.
>
>
>He looked great.
>
>
>He was one of those guys that really found himself during high school.
>
>
>He filled out and actually looked good in glasses.
>
>
>He had more dates than I had and all the girls loved him.
>
>
>Boy, sometimes I was jealous.
>
>Today was one of those days.
>
>
>I could see that he was nervous about his speech.
>
>
>So, I smacked him on the back and said, "Hey, big guy, you'll be great!"
>
>
>He looked at me with one of those looks (the really grateful one) and
>smiled.
>
>
>"Thanks," he said.
>
>
>As he started his speech, he cleared his throat, and began
>
>
>"Graduation is a time to thank those who helped you make it through those
>tough years.
>
>
>Your parents, your teachers, your siblings, maybe a coach...but mostly your
>friends...
>
>
>I am here to tell all of you that being a friend to someone is the best gift
>you can give them.
>
>
>I am going to tell you a story."
>
>
>I just looked at my friend with disbelief as he told the story of the first
>day we met.
>
>
>He had planned to kill himself over the weekend.
>
>
>He talked of how he had cleaned out his locker so his Mom wouldn't have to
>do it later and was carrying his stuff home.
>
>
>He looked hard at me and gave me a little smile.
>
>
>"Thankfully, I was saved.
>
>
>My friend saved me from doing the unspeakable."
>
>
>I heard the gasp go through the crowd as this handsome, popular boy told us
>all about his weakest moment.
>
>
>I saw his Mom and dad looking at me and smiling that same grateful smile.
>
>
>Not until that moment did I realize its depth.
>
>
>Never underestimate the power of your actions.
>
>
>With one small gesture you can change a person's life.
>
>
>For better or for worse.
>
>
>God puts us all in each other's lives to impact one another in some way.
>
>
>Look for God in others.

4 Comments:

  • That was inspiring indeed!
    Have a great weekend!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:58 PM  

  • Thanks for sharing that story, Dats.

    By Blogger Trouble, at 12:13 PM  

  • Always brings a tear to my eye... :)

    By Blogger Richmond, at 11:40 AM  

  • You have an outstanding good and well structured site. I enjoyed browsing through it » »

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home