Datbury's blog

Google

Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Poem of the moment

I don't know when I wrote this poem, but I found it recently and would like to share it. It has no title.



I can't lose me
because I'm all I got.
Defeat will rot at my footsteps
before I ever give in.
Loss and hopelessness will fade
before I falter from a bump on my chin.
I was made to last
and I keep going
strong and steady
like a moonlit glow on the Mississippi.
Haters gather en mass
to take a shot at
dismantling my ass
but what they fail to grasp
is that only God can judge me
begrudge me, make me weak
and since it is he who has
established me, my win streak
will stay loss incomplete.

I won't lose me
because I'm all I have
like Larry Holmes' Jab
or Dominique Wilkins right hand
I can only go one way
but that has not affected
my All Star status
nor Hall of Fame induction.
My self destruction
is about as real as a pink elephant
or purple banana
served in tacos from the Havana cabana.
They can't stand to
see a man who will
can't be broken
by the common realist
or token
I've spoken
enough.

1 Comments:

  • Nice poem, Dats. I can almost hear you reciting it on def poetry jam in my head. ;)

    By Blogger Trouble, at 7:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home