Datbury's blog

Google

Friday, January 13, 2006

Back down memory lane

Seems inspiration is to be found on other blogs. My date story, which happened before I met the wife, was funny to me because of how it happened and where my mindset was at the time.

Before college, I attended a prestigious 100% black high school in New Orleans, and being an all black school, we learned about things that were all black. We encouraged one another based on our race, and strove to make the world a better place for blacks.

That meant only dating blacks, and only interacting with black people. So when I visited Our Lady of the Lake University in San Antonio, I figured that it must have a been a European town because there were few blacks to be found. Somehow, I attended the school anyway. So on the first day of school, I was wearing my kente cloth and looking for my class. I was going to bring African American culture to San Antonio like no one had ever seen before. My first class was Intro to Computers(we learned BASIC, PARADOX, and some other outdated software programs).

Immediately after class, a young lady approached me with the most mesmerizing eyes and coke bottle like figure that I had ever seen in person. Her name was Yvette, and she asked me out.

I was dumbfounded. How could she have the audacity to ask a black man . . .

but my God look at that body.

I'm down for the cause and the struggle . . .

but my God look at those eyes.

Er, sure. I'd love to go out with you. Here's my number.

I think my wife was the only black person I dated after Yvette.

BTW, the date was boring, and it seemed she only wanted to show me off to her friends. They had personality, and she didn't.

But at least she was bold!

1 Comments:

  • jimiraj

    It really is taboo to some people. Its so funny to me because I focused on race so much back then, and now it really doesn't matter to me. If my kids date outside of our race, I really don't care as long as the person is respectable and treats my kids right.

    By Blogger Datbury, at 8:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home